Rainwater Harvesting: System Planning Pt.1

rain collection

Welcome to Plastic-Mart.com’s Rainwater Harvesting System Planning series.  Rainwater harvesting and collection will be a reoccurring theme on this blog and this is the first post of many more to follow. Please feel free to comment and ask any questions you may have or just click that live chat button over to your left in the navigation and one of our expert sales reps will assist you.

Rainwater Harvesting & Collection – Water Concerns

First let’s take a detailed look at the world’s water supply. 97.5% of all water on earth is saltwater with only the remaining 2.5% being fresh water. Now out of this 2.5% of the world’s total water supply a startling 68.9% is locked in glaciers, 30.8% is groundwater and that leaves us with only 0.3% of water in lakes and rivers. What this means is that the ultimate source of all our fresh water is precipitation.

Without a doubt water conservation  is the easiest and least expensive way to make our water use sustainable. 

To put things in a better perspective it’s important to understand that 1.1 billion people lack access to freshwater and 2.6 billion people do not have adequate water sanitation.

United States Population – 311,591,917 – Jul 2011

Source: U.S. Census Bureau

It has been hypothesized and rightfully so due to the historical data backing it up, that the world’s demand for freshwater will have increased by over 40% by the year 2025. So what can we do to adapt and ensure our children have the same basic privileges we have had – the access to freshwater? It all beings with conservation and rainwater harvesting.

Rainwater Harvesting

  • Requires zero energy if not pumped.
  • Has zero carbon emissions.
  • Increases overall energy savings tracing all the way back to the source of power.

 

People take water for granted. For instance did you know that an older traffic light actually uses 1.2 gallons more water per day at the power plant than a newer 15 watt led traffic light? That’s right a traffic light can conserve water. Let that sink in for a minute.

An additional concern is humans are not the only impact on our water supply. Natural forces such as sedimentation actually threaten the water supply in many areas such as the Kansas reservoirs and lakes that are quickly filling with sediment.

The government has invested over $6 Billion to sustain these critical reservoirs that provide water to over 2/3 of the Kansas population.

Be sure to come back and read our next post which will discuss the innovations in rainwater harvesting and collection from companies large and small and practical examples of how you can apply rainwater conservation to your own homestead.

 

2500 Gallon Rainwater Tank for Sale

The 2500 Gallon Water Tank N-40631 is a favorite of rainwater harvesters and collectors nationwide. Don’t wait until we cover tank installation. Order your tank from Plastic-Mart.com today so when we get to installation you are prepared and ready to start collecting rainwater immediately.

Both comments and trackbacks are closed.